The UC Santa Barbara Police Department will be offering its next R.A.D. classes for students, staff, and faculty of UCSB on the following dates:
- R.A.D. CLASSES ARE FREE OF CHARGE.
- R.A.D. CONSISTS OF FOUR CLASSES. EACH CLASS IS 3 HOURS.
- A COMPLETED R.A.D. COURSE IS 12 HOURS.
- CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED AND IS ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS. PLEASE CONTACT DETECTIVE ARVISO FOR CLASS INFORMATION.
What is R.A.D.?
R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) is the largest women's self-defense training program in the country, being taught by more than 350 universities and municipal law enforcement departments nationwide.
The Rape Aggression Defense Basic Personal Defense System is a national program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques taught for women only. All courses are taught by nationally certified R.A.D. Instructors.
The goal of R.A.D. is to provide realistic self-defense options to women, regardless of their level of physical conditioning. Students at all levels of ability, age, experience, and strength will be provided with techniques and information that can be effectively used from the first day of class. R.A.D. is not a martial arts program, nor does it require students to be athletes in training to succeed.
The R.A.D. system will provide students with the knowledge to make an educated decision about personal defense. We provide information on physical and non-physical options, as well as insight into the attacker mindset.
Every student receives a manual for reference and practice. Once a student has completed a R.A.D. program, their signed manual becomes a ticket for free lifetime return and practice with any R.A.D. instructor in the US and Canada.
- R.A.D. is the largest network of its kind with over 7000 Instructors having received training in our systems to date. These Instructors teach at various colleges, universities, and municipal law enforcement agencies as well as various other community organizations internationally. R.A.D. has trained more than 300,000 women throughout the U.S. and Canada since the program began in 1989.
- R.A.D. is the only existing program with a free lifetime return and practice policy, honored throughout both the US and Canada.
- R.A.D. has developed specialized simulation techniques and equipment for use by certified R.A.D. instructors.
- R.A.D. is the only self defense program ever endorsed by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA).
- The widespread acceptance of the R.A.D. system is due to the ease, simplicity, and effectiveness of our tactics, solid research, legal defensibility, and unique teaching methodology.