Aggravated Assault Report
This email is being sent to the campus community as a Timely Warning regarding a crime that occurred on campus property. The following is provided for your personal safety.
The UCSB Police Department received a report of an assault with a deadly weapon that occurred at the Tropicana Gardens Apartments, 6585 El Colegio, Isla Vista, on May 19, 2018 at about 7:50 PM. The staff at Tropicana Gardens reported that a resident (not affiliated with UCSB) was acting strangely. When approached, the suspect argued with the staff and brandished a knife. In the ensuing struggle, a staff member was struck with a lamp causing minor injuries. The suspect, described as a male African American, 5'10", about 200 lbs., and with black hair, was contacted by law enforcement, placed under arrest and booked at the Santa Barbara County Jail.
UCPD is investigating this crime. If you have information that might assist in the investigation, please contact the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446, or report crime information anonymously at www.police.ucsb.edu/
UCPD reminds the campus community of the following safety tips:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Follow your instincts. Safety is the first priority.
- If you feel you are in danger, take action. Move away from the threat, cross the street, increase your pace, or run to safety.
- Join a group of people or enter an open business establishment.
- Do not delay in calling 911. UCPD strongly encourages the reporting of suspicious activity so we can intervene in potential criminal activity and apprehend suspects.
- UCPD encourages the community to use safety services, such as the emergency phones identified by a blue light. When walking to and from campus and Isla Vista locations, you can request an escort by calling (805) 893-2000 or by calling on the emergency phones located throughout the UCSB Campus. For more information: http://www.
**UCPD encourages printing and posting this Timely Warning for further community notification.**
WHAT IS THIS NOTICE?
In compliance with the Clery Act, Timely Warnings are issued by the UCSB Police Department when certain (Clery Act) crimes occurring on campus property, properties controlled by campus-affiliated organizations, or public property immediately adjacent to campus are determined to be a serious or continuing threat to the campus community. Timely Warnings are intended to prevent similar crimes and to provide information that will assist community members in protecting themselves.
Manage your UCSB ALERTS contact settings at http://alert.ucsb.edu