Aggravated Assault Report
This email is being sent to the campus community as a Timely Warning regarding a crime that occurred on campus-adjacent public property. The following is provided for your personal safety.
The UCSB Police Department was advised of a reported assault that occurred on a trail just south of Phelps Rd. in between Reed Ct. and Ocean Walk Ln. The assault occurred on 08-10-19 at approximately 1130 hours. The female victim was reportedly walking southbound on the trail and was approached by a male subject who said, "Come here." The male subject grabbed the victim by her shoulders and punched her in the face. The victim was able to flee the area and later reported the incident to law enforcement. The suspect is described as a white male adult, in his early forties, approximately 5'10" to 6'00" tall, with a "scraggly" white beard, and wearing a black t-shirt.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) is investigating this crime. If you have information that might assist in the investigation, please contact SBSO at (805) 681-4100, or report crime information anonymously at www.sbsheriff.org/anonymoustips.html.
UCPD reminds the campus community of the following safety tips:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Follow your instincts. Safety is the first priority.
- If you feel you are in danger, take action. Move away from the threat, cross the street, increase your pace, or run to safety.
- Join a group of people or enter an open business establishment.
- Do not delay in calling 911. UCPD strongly encourages the reporting of suspicious activity so we can intervene in potential criminal activity and apprehend suspects.
- UCPD encourages the community to use safety services, such as the emergency phones identified by a blue light. When walking to and from campus and Isla Vista locations, you can request an escort by calling (805) 893-2000 or by calling on the emergency phones located throughout the UCSB Campus. For more information: http://www.police.ucsb.edu/cso/safety-escorts/.
**UCPD encourages printing and posting this Timely Warning for further community notification.**
WHAT IS THIS NOTICE? In compliance with the Clery Act, Timely Warnings are issued by the UCSB Police Department when certain (Clery Act) crimes occurring on campus property, properties controlled by campus-affiliated organizations, or public property immediately adjacent to campus are determined to be a serious or continuing threat