This email is being sent to the campus community as a Timely Warning regarding a crime that occurred on campus property. The following is provided for your personal safety.
The UCSB Police Department received a report of a pattern of burglaries that occurred at Manzanita Village Residence Hall between the morning of January 3, 2020 and the morning of January 4, 2020. In two of the instances, the bedroom windows were pried open, and the rooms rummaged through and left in disarray. Two other rooms were found to have pry marks on the bedroom windows, but it did not appear that entry had been made into those rooms.
UCPD is investigating these crimes. If you have information that might assist in the investigation, please contact the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446, or report crime information anonymously at www.police.ucsb.edu/contact-us/report-crime.
UCPD reminds the campus community of the following safety tips:
- Immediately report inoperable locks and latches to the appropriate maintenance personnel.
- Ensure that all doors, windows, and desks are closed and locked. Do not prop open doors or allow unauthorized persons into secured/locked buildings.
- Never leave purses, wallets, electronics, or other valuables in plain sight.
- Immediately report all suspicious persons, vehicles, and activities to the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446.
- UCPD encourages the community to use safety services, such as the emergency phones identified by a blue light. When walking to and from campus and Isla Vista locations, you can request an escort by calling (805) 893-2000 or by calling on the emergency phones located throughout the UCSB Campus. For more information: http://www.police.ucsb.edu/cso/safety-escorts/.