Sexual Assault Report
This message is being sent to the campus community as a Timely Warning regarding a crime that occurred on campus-affiliated property. The following is provided for your personal safety.
On August 28, 2021, the UCSB Police Department received a report of sexual assault that occurred in student housing on August 27, 2021 around 11:30pm. The victim met the suspect at a party in Isla Vista and he walked her back to her residence where the sexual assault occurred. The suspect is not known to the victim. The suspect is not affiliated with campus.
UCPD is investigating this crime. If you have information that might assist in the investigation, please contact the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446, or report crime information anonymously at www.police.ucsb.edu/report-crime.
UCPD reminds the campus community of the following safety tips and resources:
• If you start to feel concerns about a person or a situation, trust your instincts and try to remove yourself as quickly as possible from the potential threat.
• Perpetrators are responsible for sexual assault. Crime victims are never responsible for the behavior of perpetrators.
• If you feel you are being followed, try to get the attention of people nearby, run/walk to a well-lit and/or more populated area, and call 911 to ask for help.
• If you think someone is at risk of assault or abuse, you should consider it an emergency and act to support that person. You can call the police or ask for help from other people, intervene directly if safe, or create a distraction to help remove the potential victim from the situation.
• The UCSB CARE office provides confidential support and advocacy to students, staff, and faculty who have experienced sexual assault, relationship abuse, and stalking. Call (805) 893-4613 any time (24/7) for confidential help. CARE website: care.ucsb.edu
• Information about UCSB’s policies and support resources for sexual violence can be found at: titleix.ucsb.edu.
• The UCSB Police Department’s CSO Safety Escort Program is a free service provided to members of the UCSB community as a safe alternative to walking alone at night. Call (805) 893-2000 to request a CSO escort.
**UCPD encourages printing and posting of this Timely Warning for further community notification.**
WHAT IS THIS NOTICE?
In compliance with the Clery Act, Timely Warnings are issued by the UCSB Police Department when certain (Clery Act) crimes occurring on campus property, properties controlled by campus-affiliated organizations, or public property immediately adjacent to campus are determined to be a serious or continuing threat to the campus community. Timely Warnings are intended to prevent similar crimes and to provide information that will assist community members in protecting themselves.